We’ve had several requests to link to a very polished audio piece by David Michael ’13 (hosted on the always thought-provoking EphBlog) questioning the events behind the racial slur found on Prospect’s fourth-floor bathroom in the fall of 2011. It’s definitely worth a listen:
Some questions worth discussing:
- If you were an administrator, how would you have handled it differently? How would you frame the issue to a clearly agitated and upset student body?
- What obligation do publishers of student opinion such as The Record have in providing a critical view of this hate crime and similar campus-wide events?
- Do we think that policy designed since the event, such as bias incident task forces, has been effective and has significantly improved quality of life for the student body?
- Do you think the school has a responsibility to inform students about developments in this and other investigations?
- Looking forward, how do we handle future incidents like this rationally without jumping to conclusions?